Friday, July 1, 2011

The Hunt for a Phrasebook.

Sometimes you forget that people speak other languages in other countries. I know I did. It also slipped my mind that people use other forms of currency as well. So, naturally, I began the search for a Czech phrasebook and ordered Czech Crowns from Capital One (which I will be picking up tomorrow afternoon)! The currency was not an issue to purchase/order, but I can't say the same for the phrasebook.

Question. Do people seem to think that there is no such thing as the Czech language? Better yet, do people in the Czech Republic even speak? According to Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million, the two main places to purchase books, they don't. The International Travel section is kind of small anyway, so I can't necessarily blame them for not carrying all forms of international travel guidebooks and such. But when you have phrasebooks for German, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Greek, Japanese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Dutch, French, etc., it becomes slightly discouraging when you can't find a single phrasebook in Czech. But only slightly.

After going to various bookstores in four cities (New Orleans, Lafayette, Mandeville, and Hammond), I finally resorted to ordering it from Amazon. $9 later, I have a Czech phrasebook, NO THANKS to any of the cities, bookstores, or other foreign languages I previously mentioned.


This beauty should be in on Wednesday. I can't wait. It's going to be my companion for the next month, and I'm going to treat it with the utmost respect, because Lord knows it nearly killed me to find.

How does one say "hallelujah" in Czech? I would know if I had a phrasebook on hand.

Aleluja!

Praise the Lord for Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment