Sunday, July 10, 2011

Na Zdraví!

Yesterday was a great day, despite the fact that Sarah and I overslept by not one, but two hours. Our alarms were set for 7:30, and we were out of bed promptly at 9:22. What a warm welcome to Prague - stress from oversleeping. Haha.

We rushed downstairs to grab breakfast, which threw us both for a loop. Now, as Americans, we fantasize about scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage for breakfast. Well, I know I do at least. Much to our surprise, none of the sort was present. Instead of scrambled eggs, they had boiled. Instead of toast, they had baguettes. Instead of sausage, they had chopped up hot dogs..... in what looked to be barbecue sauce...? It was weird. They don't even have normal cereal! They have like.. Coco Puffs, but the Czech version.

So anyway, we meticulously ate breakfast, being very picky Americans. They saw right through us, I'm sure. And by "they", I mean everyone else in the dining area. Haha.

We had orientation yesterday morning. Kicking off the day right with a nice, thick packet of rules and regulations. We got our class schedules, as well as the overall schedule for the trip, which excited me greatly. I always need to feel like I'm being productive, and now, I finally can.

After orientation, we went on a city tour with Miloš (Me-losh)! He's this seventy year old Czech man who speaks impeccable English, and walks faster than anything I had ever seen. He was so great. He took us all over Prague. We walked the Charles Bridge, visited monumental art pieces, and saw the Lennon Wall. Prague is amazing.

Later that night, we went to a banquet at a nice restaurant sitting on the river. Our table was overlooking the river, a bridge, and people in paddle boats. How romantic is that? It made me miss my boy back home. The waiters brought us wine, and we had a lovely toast before beginning our meal of delicious Czech food.

We met a new friend who joined us for dinner. He's from the Czech Republic and was very eager to teach us Czech phrases. We picked up our beer (which was practically forced into your possession by the staff - haha), and we made a toast. "Na Zdraví!" In Czech, that means "Cheers!" And then we sipped beer and wine for the remainder of the banquet.


After the banquet, we decided that calling it a night would be uncalled for, seeing that it was only 9:30 PM and we were in Prague. So our new dinner friend decided to be a tour guide. We walked over this bridge adjacent to the restaurant we dined at, and watched an unexpected fireworks display. We were standing on a bridge, over a river, watching fireworks, at night, in Prague. I still can't believe it happened. We walked around town for awhile and went into this pub. It almost seemed underground (literally), because you walk in from the street, but then you go down a flight of stairs. You find yourself "inside" of the pub, even though you look up and see the nighttime sky. It was beautiful. We sat around there for an hour or so and talked. There were dogs in this bar, too. Weird. Czech people are very sweet for letting doggies hang out in the pubs.... if only Americans could adopt this behavior, then, I believe, the world would know peace (hint of sarcasm).

After thanking our new Czech buddy, we took the Metro home. On the walk back to the dorms, we obviously stopped off at the corner market to pick up chips and cookies. Obviously. Then we called it a night and parted ways.

Yesterday was a much better day than Saturday. Things are starting to pick up here. I'm eager to see what today has in store for us. We're going to visit the Prague Castle. It should be beautiful. I still miss home, of course. I will for the remainder of the trip. I'll also continue to miss my loved ones like crazy, especially my boyfriend. But I know I'll be home soon, so I'm going to cherish my time here. Afterall, while in Prague, do as the Praguians (not a real world) do...

Na Zdraví! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment