Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Wonderful World of Prague.

My stay in Prague has been interesting to say the least. One week down, three more to go. I've met some wonderful people so far, experienced authentic Czech food (and liked it!), and drank my weight in Pilsner. I can't complain, though. I'm saving money. When they said that the beer was less expensive than the water, they weren't lying.

Aside from the beer being good, the food is, too. This came as a relief for the soul, but maybe not for my waistline. The other day, after classes, a couple of us went to this restaurant called Old Town. Don't quote me on that. Anyway, it was an authentic Czech restaurant. I ordered beef, spinach, and potato dumplings, accompanied by a beer (of course). It was so delicious, that I had to take a picture.


I ate all of it. Can you believe that? I'm usually the one at restaurants who takes a couple bites of a meal and then begs for a to-go box. Not here, though. I'm actually cleaning my plate almost entirely every time we eat. Thank the precious Lord that living in Prague also means walking virtually everywhere.

Classes started on Monday, which was somewhat of a comfort. I like breaking into a good routine. Little did I know that this routine would wipe me out. I am exhausted by the end of the day. Exhausted. It probably doesn't help that I go to bed at 1:00 AM, wake up at 6:30 AM, go to class until 3:00 PM, and then wander around the city until it gets dark. But, hey, when in Prague...

I prefer my travel writing class over my film class, which is kind of surprising, but not really, at all. I just enjoy writing so much. I could do it all day. I'm sure that isn't much of a shock, considering I keep journals, blogs, and the like. We also have a blog for my travel writing class. It's where we post our essays and whatnot. Here's the link, if you'd like to check it out: http://kheckelprague.wordpress.com/ My film class would be a lot less agonizing if it weren't at 9:00 AM. The room we're currently in isn't necessarily equipped for movie-watching, in my opinion. There's always a glare from the sun, not to mention the fact that the films aren't in color, which makes it even more difficult to focus on when you're running on five hours of sleep. I wish our film class went on more field trips like we do in my travel writing class.

The other day, our teacher took us to this renowned location called Petřín Hill. It was absolutely stunning. We took a train-like device up to the very top of the hill. Greeting us at the top was a miniature version of the Eiffel Tower, with a restaurant at the bottom.


It kind of just looks like a water tower. The picture doesn't do it justice. There was also this garden that a friend of mine and I found while looking for a nook to sit and write. Our assignment was to wander around Petřín Hill and write. How amazing is that? It's pretty amazing.

After walking around for about twenty minutes, people-watching, stumbling upon secret gardens, and finding rose garden after rose garden, we finally came upon the perfect spot. It was off the beaten path, but comforting nonetheless. I took a seat on the cobblestone sidewalk right next to a beautiful tree. I took my journal out of my backpack, opened to a new page, and looked in front of me. My jaw dropped as I discovered my view: the city of Prague. It was stunning. Orange and teal shingled-roofs peaked through the openings in the leaves from the trees, and you could hear the sounds of the city below mixing with the birds chirping all around you. It was like a mystical sight. Indescribable.

Aside from exploring and going to class, we've also had a sufficient amount of free time to do as we please. It's mainly at night, which isn't an issue. The routine has been to get dinner/drinks and just chat. Lucky for us, we have a pub in the basement of our dorms, which is cool. We went there the other night before venturing off to sleep. Did I mention that the beer is cheaper than the water? Because it is.


Here sits 28-33 CZK of goodness, which is equivalent to $1-$2 dollars. Does it get any better than this?

Prague has so much to offer, aside from beer, dumplings, and a wonderful view. I've learned so much since being here, and I still have three more weeks to go! I miss everyone at home like crazy (especially my mom, brother, and grandma). But I also miss my boyfriend, Jacob. Very much. It's quite difficult being in a beautiful city without that one, special person that you adore more than anything. It's especially painful, because everyone is so affectionate here.

I know I'll be home sooner than I realize. Chances are, I'll miss Prague like crazy. Actually, I know I will. But the important thing is that I have memories, pictures, and friends that I can take back with me. Luckily, the people I've been spending the majority of my time with actually got to UNO, with the exception of one or two.

So, while I'm here, I'm going to continue having fun, keeping up with my studies, and experiencing as much as I can (within reason, of course). Prague is a beautiful city with so much to offer, and I am very honored to be here.

With that being said, I'm off to do some homework. Class through Wednesday, and then off to Vienna, Austria for four days. Can't wait!

Na zdraví! a sbohem! Cheers and goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment