Saturday, July 9, 2011

Stormy weather.

This post will probably be short, being that it is 1:10 AM and my alarm is set for 7:30.

So we finally arrived in Prague after a heated battle with the airlines, namely Lufthansa. Because of the delayed flight leaving D.C., we ended up arriving in Germany hours later than we planned, which resulted in us missing our flight to Prague. Five hour layover, new boarding passes, and hours of sleep lost later (does that make sense?), we're on a plane to Prague. We arrived around 7:00 PM, seven hours later than what we scheduled for. We checked into the dorms, met everyone at Pod Loubim (which is a pub across the street from our dorms), and began to settle into what will be our home for the next month.

We're having our orientation tomorrow, along with a city tour, which I am very excited for! We're also getting all dressed up and having a fancy dinner somewhere in Prague. I want to say we're going to a castle, but maybe that's Monday's trip. Nevertheless, it will be quite the experience, I'm sure. I'm excited to taste the wine. Prague wine. I actually bought a bottle today for 110 CZK, which is about $6.50 in American currency. The beer, on the other hand, is a lot different from Czech wine, I'm sure. First of all, it's a lot cheaper. An enormous mug of beer cost less than a small can of Coke. If that's not an incentive to start being a beer-drinker than I don't know what is. Lucky for me, I haven't acquired the taste for beer. I did order one today at dinner, though, along with the beef and dumplings. I forgot the official name for the dish. It was mediocre. Apparently, Czech people like their gravy with a side of strawberry preserves and whipped cream (I wish I was joking). Anyway, I'm hoping the food becomes slightly more appetizing and a little less heavy than this particular meal was.

The dorms are nice. Quaint, to say the least, and very European (go figure). There is no A/C, so we're at the weather's expense. Sarah and I have had the window open all evening, with the exception of five minutes ago when it decided to storm. It's hitting me that I'm sitting in Prague, blogging, while watching rain patter against my bedroom window. How cool is this? Pretty darn cool, if you ask me. I am, on the other hand, homesick. I miss home. I miss my family, and I miss my boy. I know I'll see them soon, but it just can't get here fast enough! I need patience. Or trpělivost as one of the locals might say around here. Speaking of locals, they're all very sweet so far! Nothing like the Germans we met in the airport. They didn't care for Americans very much. Or anyone for that matter.

But anyway, I'm calling it a night. Busy day tomorrow. Besides, I kind of haven't slept in roughly 36 hours, so it's about time I lay my head to rest.

Thinking of you, my cute love. And of course, I'm sending my love to all of my other precious people!

Trpělivost. We could all use a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment