Thursday, August 4, 2011

When in Prague - Travel Writing Essay #1

There comes a time in everyone’s lives where they’re forced to expand. Expand their knowledge. Expand their horizons. Expand their waist size. Regardless of what you’re expanding, whether it be in your control or not, it’s inevitably going to happen.

Until very recently, I have always been very reluctant to try new things. I don’t want to say that I was afraid of change, but because being honest with oneself is important, I will go ahead and acknowledge the fact that I was afraid. For as long as I can remember, I have always kept myself inside of this bubble. It was a bubble created by myself that housed everything that made me comfortable. I would rarely allow anyone inside of this bubble of comfort, for fear that they would break it, and I’d be forced to confront the outside world. After a series of events that ultimately lead to an epiphany, I had a breakthrough. It couldn’t have come at a better time.

When I first considered studying abroad in Prague, I had some reservations. I wasn’t sure if I would necessarily enjoy being on my own, but by no means am I overly dependent. I think that the word that describes me the most appropriately in this situation is self-conscious. Naturally, I would rather experience something with someone else, whether it a trip to the grocery store down the street or a trip out of the country. Another issue that worried me was the fact that, not only would I be outside of the United States, but I would be outside of the United States for an entire month. I have always been extremely close to my family and friends. The mere thought of not seeing them or speaking to them, with the exception of the occasional Skype session, made my stomach turn. I was very worried that the relationships I had with people back at home would weaken because I was traveling overseas. After a few pep talks and a few bowls of ice cream, I realized I would be okay. The relationships I created with people would still be there once I returned home. It wasn’t until this issue was resolved that I truly felt as ease about studying abroad.

As the weeks passed, the realization that I would be leaving everything behind for a month slowly began to nag at me. It was almost as if Prague was becoming a burden, and I hadn’t even been introduced to the country yet! The majority of my problem was the fact that I was anxious. I was anxious about flying, anxious about being immersed in completely new territory for thirty days, and anxious about not being surrounded by my family, friends, and boyfriend. I was nervous about everything, to say the least, but that’s nothing new. My nerves get the best of me sometimes. Remind me to shake that later.

On the night of July 7th, as I was packing, it finally hit me that I was traveling out of the country. Actually, it didn’t hit me. It punched me square in the face and pushed me to the ground. I was paralyzed with fear. The night of July 7th is actually a blur. I do remember packing, and I remember pacing in my house saying over and over again, “I can’t believe I’m doing this.” Shipping off to another country is something completely out of the ordinary for me, which is why it was so crucial that I went through with it. After nineteen years of life on earth, it finally hit me that there is more to see in the world than New Orleans, which resulted in another epiphany, which was followed by yet another a breakthrough. A sense of peace washed over me as I zipped my suitcase one last time and finally crawled into bed. I went to sleep knowing that leaving was okay. Being away from the familiar was okay. I would be okay.

Needless to say, the overall journey to Prague was the opposite of okay. I didn’t cry before I departed New Orleans like I initially thought I would. However, one of my flights was delayed, which resulted in missing a connecting flight. I also had to communicate with a woman in the Frankfurt airport who was, to put it mildly, anti-American. Okay, so maybe she wasn’t anti-American, but she surely didn’t feel like dealing with me. I was a little frantic, I’ll admit, but can you blame me? Here I am, in Germany, trying to tell a woman that I’m about to miss my flight and I need a new boarding pass, only for her to tell me that a flight to Prague at 11:45 AM doesn’t exist, when I know for a fact that it does! After many confusing looks, disgruntled sighs, and a few clicks on her fancy, German computer, my new boarding passes were printed, and I meticulously placed myself on a bench with some German chocolate and waited for my plane to arrive. Fiver hours later, I’m finally on a plane to Prague.

I won’t go into great detail about my time here in Prague so far, but I will say that it has completely turned my world upside down, and I’ve only been here for six days. Being in Prague has been the ultimate learning experience, as well as the ultimate culture shock. There is so much to learn! Aside from the language, I’m also transitioning from living in a house to living in a small dorm, from traveling by car, to traveling by foot, metro, and tram, which I’m beginning to love! I’m also adjusting to the breakfast food, which doesn’t consist of scrambled eggs and toast like it does in America, but is a culmination of chopped hot dogs in ketchup and a surplus of carbs. Prague seems to welcome carbohydrates with open arms, which is also an adjustment from the U.S, because we tend to avoid bread at all costs. Thanks, Atkins Diet, for making people think stuffing your face with pepperoni and steak is a much healthier alternative to nibbling on the occasional blueberry crumble muffin or pretzel stick.

Aside from all of the adjusting that has been taking place in my life as of the past week, I can honestly say that I would not have changed any experience I have had thus far, including the banter I exchanged with the beastly, German woman. Everything has been a learning experience. Everything. I can literally feel myself growing, not only intellectually, but emotionally, as well. My emotions, as of today, are nothing compared to what they were on my first day here in Prague. I’m becoming more comfortable with being away from the familiar. I’m falling into a routine, which makes me feel at ease. I’m exploring a new country, practically on my own. I’m living my life to the fullest, and I’m taking chances, which is exactly what I should have been doing all along. I’m expanding my knowledge, my horizons, and maybe even my waist size, but I don’t care. When in Czech, do as the Czechs do. If that means stuffing your face with carbs at every meal, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment