Friday, August 12, 2011

Almost Home (written on August 6th)

I’ve been traveling all day. All day. To say that I’m tired would be an understatement. To say that I’m sad would be an understatement. To say that I’m okay would be accurate.

Waking up this morning was easier than I thought it would be. I woke up. Got dressed. Put on my makeup and went to breakfast with Sarah and Crystal. It was like any other day. Except that it wasn’t.

It was our last day.

We went through the motions, acting like everything was normal. Grabbing bread and yogurt. Sitting at our table. Indulging in this breakfast for the last time. The breakfast that once repulsed us. Eating the boiled eggs we once wished were scrambled. Drinking the water we once thought tasted like mold/metal (gross, I know). But what was once a completely foreign and uncomfortable feat became our typical routine. And now we were engaging in it one last time. It’s bizarre.

After breakfast, Sarah and I parted ways with Crystal. She has become such a great friend, and it was sad saying goodbye. Thank God she goes to UNO…

We said our goodbyes, and Sarah and I checked out of the dorms (aka our home) and walked to the bus stop down the street. Towing luggage. Passing by our usual hangouts (Pod Loubím). Catching a glimpse of the #20 tram as it stopped at Dejvička. Memories. Everywhere you turn, there are memories.

We safely made it to the airport and said goodbye to the #119 bus. After printing our boarding passes and checking our luggage in, we went to look for our gates. Somehow we got lost and ended up at baggage claim. We actually ended up at the exact spot where we met up on the day we arrived in Prague. That brought back some memories. Instead of sitting sown and sobbing like we wanted to, we turned around and made our way to Terminal 2. After going through security, we found our gates.

Sarah was C2, and I was C12. It was weird separating. We both hated it, and we were both very nervous. As soon as our 5-minute hug ended (accompanied by “I LOVE YOU!”, of course) I turned away and searched for C12.

Immediately after parting ways with Sarah, I felt alone. I felt so alone, and I hated it. I just wanted someone or something familiar next to me. Something to turn to. But I knew I wouldn’t have that the entire day. I’m on my own today. Completely on my own.

It was a scary thought.

After sitting at my gate for hours (It’s better safe than sorry), I finally heard the words I had been waiting for. Flight to Munich is boarding.

I jumped up, sprinted to the line, and took out my boarding pass and passport. I was ready to get this show on the road. I boarded the plane, settled into my seat, and stared out of my window.

Goodbye, Prague.

As the plane took off, I felt the tears building up in my eyes. I was crying. It took me by surprise, because I haven’t cried in a long time.

Watching Prague become smaller and smaller was very difficult, but I couldn’t stop staring. As the plane got higher, clouds began covering the city. Every now and then, I’d catch a glimpse of a rooftop covered in burnt sienna shingles. I had a poetic moment and began comparing the clouds covering Prague to the clouds that would eventually cover my memory. Prague is the memory. The clouds are the constant.

Or something like that.

It was a sentimental moment, which resulted in an influx of tears. My sad, sobbing session was interrupted by the flight attendant.

“Chocolate?”

“Uh, sure. Thanks.”

Toblerone. Score.

As soon as the view from my window became solely clouds, I decided to redirect my attention to something else. So I chose to stare at the two men sitting across from me, both unwrapping their free chocolate like children opening presents on Christmas morning. Once the creamy chocolate was free of its wrapper, they looked at each other, and tapped their candy bars together while laughing. Did these people just cheers to Toblerone? They did.

I like it.

That small moment between two friends lifted my spirits. Prague was still in mind, but I knew I couldn’t dwell. I promised myself I wouldn’t. So I looked straight ahead and prepared myself for my next stop.

Munich.

Because of my previous experience with German airports, I was very nervous about arriving to Munich. I didn’t know what to expect at all, but I knew I’d find out soon enough.

There was a shuttle waiting for us outside of our plane, which brought us to a terminal. So far, so good. I walked inside and immediately spotted the sign advertising my gate. So I walked.

And I walked.

And I jogged. Kind of.

I finally made it to passport control, through security, and to my gate. H. As soon as I walked up, they were preparing to board the plane. I immediately thanked God for not letting me miss this flight. I was so happy that I made it to my second flight. I couldn’t stop smiling.

I took my seat on the plane (window!), and I began to settle in. Eight hours wouldn’t be so bad…. And it wasn’t. It went by a hell of a lot faster than it did going to Prague. I slept a lot of the way, while somehow dodging the Spanish woman’s arm who was sitting next to me. She liked to lounge. And eat excessive amounts of German brie. Disgusting.

Anyway, the flight wasn’t bad. I watched 30 Rock and Scrubs. Listened to Adele. The usual. At this point, Prague was even further back in my mind. My thoughts were on landing in Newark and dealing with customs.

I was informed that I’d have to pick up my luggage and re-check it in once I arrived in New Jersey. I hated this news. For starters, its one more thing to worry about. As if finding your gate and going through passport control isn’t time consuming as it is, let’s throw in luggage escapades while we’re at it! Secondly, I have wine and beer in my luggage. They can’t get taken. They’re souvenirs!

The process actually went a lot smoother than I thought it would. I walked directly to passport control. After verifying why I was in Prague and promising that I wasn’t smuggling snails or produce into the country, I made my way to baggage claim.

Damn you, baggage claim.

I waited for a good twenty minutes. No luggage. Blue suitcase, pink ribbon. Those were the words coursing through my mind. A voice came over the intercom stating that some bags had been placed in the middle of baggage claim on the ground.

“Maybe mine is in there,” I thought.

But I ignored my thoughts and continued waiting at the conveyor belt. At this point, I was getting worried. I had a plane to catch.

I finally decided to check the random pile of luggage to see if I could find mine. Doubtful, I just skimmed.

Tan. Metallic. Leopard. Red.

Blue?

Blue suitcase, pink ribbon?

Nope…. Wait……

My luggage. Laying there. All the way at the end of the mountain of suitcases. Of course it is.

I grabbed it and made a mad dash for baggage control.

Baggage control was a lot less…controlled than I thought it would be. I literally just walked through a gate, gave my luggage to a man, and headed toward Terminal C.

I had to take an AirTrain to my terminal. Normally, this would have made me nervous. But, because of Prague’s transportation system, I felt like a pro. As soon as the doors open, I hopped onto the tram, widened my stance, and held onto the railing. Yellow and warm. Just like Prague. I was smiling at this point. This was familiar to me. This was good. I also liked that no one understood why I was smiling and chuckling to myself. They had no idea where I was coming from or where I was going. It was like I had a secret.

And I did. Still do.

I found my gate in advance and had a little time to spare. I called my mom. Responded to texts. And treated myself to an iced Americano with vanilla and skim. It tasted like Prague and reminded me all too well of Gloria Jeans.

Once I got back to my gate, it was time to board. As I was walking onto the plane, I got a jolt of excitement.

I’m going home. I’m seeing Jacob.

I’m relieved that I’m finally feeling this way. I was worried. Although I miss Prague terribly, I’m excited to be home.

I know I’ll be thinking about Prague every single day for the rest of my life. Some memories will make me laugh. Some will make me cry.

All in all, this was the greatest experience I have ever had in my entire life. I went to a foreign country. I lived there for thirty days. I adapted. I changed. I become one of them, and it felt good.

I’ll always have these memories. I’ll hold onto them forever. I’m happy that I had my time in Prague, but now it’s time to go home.

It’s time to go home.

And that’s okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment